Foodie Podcasts!

The 6 Best Podcasts to Listen to This Week
I've recently found that I love listening to podcasts!  I've always found myself trying to learn something from each and every interaction.  I want to be full of knowledge and know a little bit about everything, especially when it comes to food!  It makes conversating with fellow foodies easier and you'll just sound more professional when you have factual information to back something up in a conversation.  Finding time to research each subject I'm interested in can be super hard, but a podcast can be the answer to this problem!  You can listen to a podcast anywhere at any time!  I like to listen to them in the car, on a walk or even when I'm just scrolling through Facebook!  This is an excellent way to be constantly learning!  With all of the traveling I've been doing, I've had the opportunity to listen to tons of these in the car on the road or on long plane flights!  Honestly, my brain really does feel that much sharper once listening!  

If you've ever tried to listen to a podcast you might have realized that a lot of them are boring, not to the point, or just hard to follow.  So far I've filtered out those ones and I'm here to provide you with only the intriguing, yet educational podcasts!  If this is something you guys are interested in PLEASE LET ME KNOW!  I would love to start making monthly podcast suggestions to you all!  Make sure you're following me on social media because I'm going to start posting some of these podcasts on those platforms as I find them! I've listened to all kinds of foodie podcasts about a large array of things, this being said, I'm going to try to provide a little description of each one so you can pick which ones are best for you! Now in no particular order; here are some of the best podcasts I've found this month: 

1. "Are We All Victims of Food Fraud?"
From the podcast "Proof" this short 10-minute podcast, perfect for a short drive, they go deep into how the food your buying can not be what it seems.  Whether it's olive oil that's actually canola oil, or "pancake syrup" rather than maple syrup, they'll tell you how to read labels to make sure you're getting what you paid for! This is a good listen for anyone that buys food! 

2. "Why is Ranch So Addictive?"
Also from "Proof" podcasts (I was hesitant to listen to this one as I actually can't stand Ranch) so I listened to it for the opposite reason; as in why do people even like Ranch?  The podcast isn't actually about Ranch but more about why does your body want the food it wants.  Super interesting and educational, it'll help you in your day to day life when you think "I want a chocolate milkshake".  In this 14 minute podcast, they'll explain to you that you don't really want that milkshake and why your brain thinks that you do.  I feel that everyone should give this short podcast a listen! 

3.  "The 10 Restaurants that Changed America with Professor Paul Freedman"
From "Eater's Digest" this 48-minute podcast is an interview with Paul Freedman who released a book about the 10 Resturants that seemed to have changed America.  He specifically states that these are not in any means the best restaurants but ones that impact us today.  Paul Freedman is a professor of Medieval History at Yale Univesity (which is kind of ironic as I'm typing this at a cute little farm in Scotland, CT not too far from Yale)  The podcast takes you from food in the middle ages through the years to our current chain restaurants.  Once you get past this quick history lesson, the professor runs through the 10 restaurants with a quick explanation of how they've impacted us.  I liked this podcast because you're getting food history from an actual professor but not in a way that he's talking over your head and you'll never understand it.  Super interesting if you like history, food, and you want to know "why?"

4. "How Bees Made What We Eat"
From the podcast "The Splendid Table" they talk about the role bees play in our food, the evolution of bees, the mystery of bees "allegedly" going extinct and also some fun new ways to use honey in the kitchen every day (BEEsides just putting it in tea)!  This podcast made me feel super educated and also care so much more for bees!  Did you know that if you took everything off of a "Big Mac" that a bee had made you would only have a burger and a bun?  Yeah, bees are pretty incredible!    

5. "Why Spiked Seltzer is Having A Moment"
Also from "Eater's Digest" this podcast is a little bit more fun and less educational; however, if you've heard of White Claw, Truly, or any other seltzer drink, you know that they were the 'drink of the summer' as most people would say.  This podcast explains why they think this drink became so popular, did it overtake beer sales?  Where did it come from? Why does everyone want it?  Pretty interesting, a tiny bit of history and a lot of jokes!  This podcast is perfect for just about anyone! 

6. "A Saint Lucian Chef in New Orleans"

From the bon appetit "FOODCAST", a longer podcast at one hour and 2 minutes, it is an interesting interview with a Chef who has a captivating story of how she moved to Europe at age 16 from her home near the Virgin Islands to go to school.  After a few years, she ends up moving to New York and working under some incredible Chefs, then back home to the Islands, and finally ends up in New Orleans with her own fantastic restaurant! She was also on Top Chef taking the risk of coming back and not having a job if she didn't win.  Her success as a female chef is so inspiring and interesting!  This podcast is perfect for a long drive or just something to listen to while you're getting ready for the day in the morning!  

I meant to cut it off at five podcasts but I just couldn't pick one to get rid of because they're all so captivating!  If you want to feel more educated every day and be able to speak well about food and where it comes from, definitely check out some or even all of these podcasts.  I started by listening to just one a day, but found myself wanting to just keep listening!  All of these can be found on Apple Podcast, most of them are on Spotify or any other streaming app.  Life is short so why wouldn't you want to learn as much as possible?  Thank you so much for reading.

From my kitchen to yours,
MallaryMade

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NoMad: One Michelin Star

La Mar by Gaston Acurio

Blueberry Bundt Cake!